mounting hfs+ partitions in yellowdog, and vice versa

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 13:13:27 +0200 (CEST)

> My advice is to reinstall it completely, compared to what some
> people on this list have gone through to get YDL to even boot,
> you've got it easy. Let us know how your video configuration goes.

I followed Norberto's advice, started over, read the manual,
and did it by the book. This email comes from an iBook 2usb 14"
dual boot YDL/Mac OSX. Things are working really well now, thanks!

But I still have a problem concerning fdisk -l, can if be fixed?
Does it matter?

This time I partitioned with free space ahead of a Mac OSX
partition, and I took YDL's automatic "install in free space"
option. There are no problems anymore mounting swap during startup.
But fdisk -l still doesn't work:

[root@heblos root]# fdisk -l
Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40007761920 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 77520 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes
Disk /dev/hda doesn't contain a valid partition table

Regarding video (first time I couln't start X windows):
this time I took more notice when the installation asked about
my monitor. The first time I had quickly taken what appeared to
be a default option but this time I took a good look at what was
on offer. In the long list there is also "Apple" and under apple,
one can find iBook2 12. I guessed this would also work for iBook2 14
and it did.

I just wanted to remark here (for the guys at Terrasoft!)
this is the FIRST time for me that during a linux installation
on a very standard and common machine, the good monitor was
not chosen automatically for me. And in the last year I've done
about 10 installs of various distro's on various machines.
It's made careless...

Richard

PS. regarding the fdisk -l problem:
parted is able to see the partitions this is what it tells me:

[root@heblos root]# parted
(parted) print
Disk geometry for /dev/hda: 0.000-38154.375 megabytes
Disk label type: mac
Minor    Start       End     Filesystem  Name                  Flags
1          0.000      0.031              Apple
2          0.031      0.058              Macintosh
3          0.059      0.085              Macintosh
4          0.086      0.113              Macintosh
5          0.113      0.140              Macintosh
6          0.141      0.390              Macintosh
7          0.391      0.640              Macintosh
8          0.641      0.890              Patch Partition
9          0.891      1.890  hfs         untitled              boot
12         1.891   8296.625  ext3        untitled
13      8296.625   9576.312  linux-swap  swap                  swap
10      9576.312  12375.281  hfs         bridge
11     12375.281  38154.371  hfs         heblos

Should I be concerned that fdisk -l doesn't work? Can it be fixed?