Mounting HFS+ partitions in YDL

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:44:30 -0500

Mr. Terry:

On Monday, October 13, 2003, at 02:58  PM, Robert E. Terry wrote:
> I have no trouble mounting Mac partitions on YDL, except for the minor
> annoyance that only "Root" can actually read them! A normal user can
> look but not enter the directory.

Try this:

[1] in a console, get superuser privileges ("su")
[2] using vi or pico, edit the file /etc/fstab
[3] add the line --

/dev/hda10    /mnt/macos    hfs    noauto,user,rw    0 0

[4] from the console, as a regular user, type "mount /mnt/macos"
[5] Voila!

The "noauto" prevents the partition from mounting at startup; the
"user" allows user access (why this isn't the default is beyond me),
the "rw" lets you have read and write access.

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald AT sbcglobal DOT
net>