can't view linux GUI

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 18 Oct 2003 14:06:44 +0200 (CEST)

Matt

here's my five-cents worth (one week's experience):

* boot from a linux live cdrom like knoppix-MiB-ppc, and edit
/etc/inittab so that you'll boot into runlevel 3 (text mode)
instead of 5 (X). Boot into your YDL and run Xautoconfigure
or even manually edit /etc/X11/XF86Config. at least now you
have a working YDL even if without X for the time being
and hopefully you can fix the X configuration afterwards.

Unfortunately the YDL install cdrom doesn't seem to also function
as a rescue disk unlike its Redhat counterpart.

I hope someone will tell us if there is an easier way out, if
anything I say is wrong [you could also reinstall altogether, this
time in text mode].

Richard