where to get kernel/kernel source for belkin usb bluetooth and irda support on powerbook pismo g3

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:43:44 +0100 (CET)

> Where does kernel source come from?
> Does yellowdog use the same kernel as other distributions?
> Where can I find the source for the latest?
> Are there prebuilt kernels that I can use for bluetooth and/or irda?
> What about bluez and irda-lib?

According to the RELEASE-NOTES on the installation cdrom,
YDL 3.0 has kernel 2.4.20-ben8, meaning a version from
Ben Herrenschmidt, see www.ppckernel.org

In /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8d/drivers you can find bluetooth
but none of the other things you mention. I suppose this means
that you can add bluetooth support by recompiling the kernel
supplied with YDL (just changing the kernel configuration),
but that for the other things you will need to get a
more recent kernel source / more recent prebuilt kernel.
I experimented with some of the latter recently
but only had partial success (I was able to add hfsplus
support, but lost my network and sound cards.

If the new kernel doesn't match existing start-up scripts
and configuration settings, you have a lot more work to do...)

richard