where to get kernel/kernel source for belkin usb bluetooth and irda support on powerbook pismo g3

Ima Sudonim yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 09:56:13 -0500

Thanks, all, I'm getting a bit further...

Actually, I found a very good how-to that I missed previously at:

http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Compiling_Kernels

I downloaded 2.4.22 kernel source from www.kernel.org via the 'F' (full
source) link, I needed to use bunzip to uncompress it with:

bunzip2 -c ~/linux-2.4.22.tar.bz2 | tar xvf -

The final dash is important! -- in the /usr/src directory

Then

make xconfig (modified bluetooth, usb, irda and network device support)

make depend

make vmlinux

make modules

make modules_install

I modify /etc/yaboot.conf (see man yaboot.conf)
Run ybin to reset everything (unsure if this is necessary, as I'm using
a two stage mac os x, mac os 9 and linux boot process)

I copied over vmlinux and System.map, rebooted and...

... the kernel seemed to work (haven't tested ir or bluetooth yet),
EXCEPT for my airport card which no longer works with my internet
connection

ifup eth1 gives:

Error for wireless request "Set Frequency" (8B04)
	SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not supported

Determining IP information for eth1... failed.

ifcfg-eth1 contains:

DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
ESSID=MYSID
KEY=0000000000000000000000000000
DHCP_HOSTNAME=
IPADDR=
NAME=
DOMAIN=
NETMASK=
HWADDR=
USERCTL=yes
PEERDNS=no
TYPE=Wireless
RATE=Auto
CHANNEL=11
MODE=Managed
FREQ=2.462G
AP=Any

the same file works fine with the same settings/access point with my
2.20.-8d kernel

What did I do to my airport card and how can I fix it?

then I'll work on the irda/bluetooth stuff.

I am on a g3 pismo powerbook running yellowdog 3 with yum saying all
updates are applied

Thanks!

Ima