iMac hard drive setup

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:14:24 -0500

I have a green 333 mHz iMac, whose 6 gig hard drive is almost full.  Other than
that, it is an adequate machine for my purposes.  I use both OS 9 and OSX on it
with no problems.  It's a little slow sometimes, but I really don't care.

I'd like to take a new drive, say 80 gigs, and when setting it up, leave some
space for YDL, of course.

OK, there is the whole 8 gig limitation thing I've heard from.  The first
partition needs to be 8 gigs max?  Do I put OS 9 AND OS X on this partition?
Which type of Mac format do I use (regular, extended?).

I want to leave, say, 20 gigs for YDL, which I would leave "unallocated", right?

What do I do with the remaining 52 gigs?  Can I format it so that
documents/programs could be "seen" by both the YDL and OS 9/OS X...or is that a
dangerous thing to do?

I've never used Yaboot, is this the preferred booter for this machine?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks,

RJ Goos

YDL.net - The online community for Yellow Dog Linux users