Thanks to Ron Smith + a few queries

John Whitelock yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 07:04:46 +1000

As a newbie to YDL, and to Macs, first I would like to give a  big
thank you to Ron Smith who gave so much good advice on installing 3.0.
If his instructions are followed EXACTLY you can't go wrong.  I
partitioned my iBook into three, one for YDL, the second shared (hfs),
and the third MacOSX (hfs+).  I sorted out fstab so I can access shared
and floppy - haven't yet found out how to access the Firewire HD I
fitted.

Ok, I did have to install about eight times, but the first three were
because I gave the wrong partition for the Mac boot.  And the others
were because I wanted to add further programs to YDL - such as Gnucash
and Gnumeric and Abiword.

There must be a way to add additional progs from the YDL CDs without
re-installing, but I don't know about it!

Just as I hope that there is a way of installing programs from CDs on
mags such as Linux Format on to the YDL.  Perhaps YDL have converted
the Linux progs to ppc and cannot take i386 programs?

I look forward to comments, but no urgency - my existing system works
well.  Except for internet dial up for which I have to use the iBook
internal modem on MacOSX as I have not yet managed to get YDL to do
this.  Comments in mags are that Linux does not like internal modems,
but whether this applies to Apple or only winmodems I don't know.

JohnW