Linux on new powerbook G4 15"

Robert Lewis yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:39:44 -0400

Hello,

    I just bought a new PB 15" G4 1 ghz and Yellow Dog Linux.  I am an
old hand at computers of all sorts (especially Macs) and I easily
installed another variant of Linux on a Dell six months ago, so I
thought this was going to be pretty easy.  Forget it.

    I followed all the directions as best as I could, since the written
documentation differs from what actually happens on screen in several
ways.  First of all, one cannot install OS 9 on this machine, so while
I used  Apple's Disk Tool to create three partitions as instructed, the
second one has no OS on it.  I did make it an hfs 5 gig drive.  The
third partition is about 28 gig, hfs+, and the Apple CD has no trouble
installing OS X on it.

    Without going into too much detail, the problem is that everything
seems to go fine with the YD installation, except the very last step.
It hangs trying to restart.  There is no choice but to cnt-comm-power
out of it, which destroys all the YD Linux.

    Now I see on
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/hardware/breakdown/
index.php?hw_cat_id=4    that
my PowerBook 2003 G4 (2003) (ATI Mobility Radeon 9600) is NOT
supported!  Great.

    My question is, OK if it's not supported yet, is that why it hangs
at  the end?  Can I at least do the partitioning now (please provide
brutally specific instructions that actually work on this machine) so I
can use it as a Mac powerbook while I wait for terrasoft people to get
this machine supported?  (I don't want to have to reinitialize it yet
again in the future.)

Thanks.

Bob Lewis