how to format my external drive?

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:46:41 -0500

Edith:

On Tuesday, September 30, 2003, at 02:49  PM, Edith Frost wrote:
> Thanks Clint, I thought of using Fat32 since I don't care about
> security on this drive.

<Evil grin> Are you saying that FAT32 or any Microsoft product might
have some security issues? ;-)

> But I don't have access to any Windows machine to do the formatting...
> it's not among the choices in OSX Disk Utility;

Hmmm.... I tried it out in Mac OS X just before e-mailing you, and I
saw the MS-DOS file system as a choice. Try clicking on both the
Partition and the Erase tabs. One of them (Erase, I think) will give
you a greater number of choices. Try that.

> I'm ashamed to say I've never formatted anything in Linux so I
> wouldn't know where to begin.

Even if it is really easy in Mac OS X, it might be a good exercise to
try to do it in Yellow Dog Linux. That being said, I haven't a clue as
to where you might begin :-( .

Let us know what finally works for you!

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald AT sbcglobal DOT
net>