Apache Virtual Hosts Vs IIS Virtual Servers

Sean Lewis yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 22:16:19 +0100

Ok

Here's the scenario

I want to give my friends access to my webserver running php/mysql, in
essence giving them some always on webspace to play with. I also want to
give them ftp access and all the niceties that comes with it. I have figured
out getting ftp up and running and creating the users and groups. (YAY for
me). now what I'd like to be able to do is point people towards each users
home directory as their webserver document space. An example of the URL
would be

http://seanswebhost/friendspace

Now in windows this is easily done through the IIS snap-in for MMC, is this
the same as Virtual Hosts on apache? o is their an easier way of setting
this up.

I know I'm a pain in the arse always asking these questions but you gotta
start somewhere.

Thanks in anticipation of lots of help

:o)

Sean the linux-not-so-newbie-anymore

P.S. how do i stop httpd being added to the /var/lock/subsys directory when
i start it.