(let me try and be a little more clear this time) Re: installing ydl graphical mode works/ x doesn't ?

Walt Pawley yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:34:29 -0700

On 7/31/04 6:27 PM -0400, Andrew wrote on Re: (let me try and be a little
more clear this time) R

>> [also, if it just sits there, you might want to add a "RETURN"]    ;-)
>
>LOL I hope nobody is THAT dumb!

I've told many a Mac OS X user who's experiencing Terminal for the first
time to do just that. It's not so much a matter of "dumb", I suspect, as
one of complete ignorance of what a CLI is all about. They have this vague
notion that the "Enter" key is good for something with dialog boxes but
they don't have to know about it because the mouse can click the same
thing. To actually form a command from knowledge only in the brain AND
express it in keystrokes is not the Mac way.

... and ...

>I love pico (or its clone, nano) a whole lot. But for some reason (if I
>recall correctly), pico is not installed in the default Yellow Dog Linux
>configuration.

Ah. If that's true, pico is not such a great recommendation for the
uninitiated. I have not seen it non-installed on any of the various *nix's
I've piddled with. If it were up to me, I'd make certain that "ee" and
"aee" were installed by default. The prompting is better than pico's, IMHO
and they're much more capable.

>Eventually, everyone will need to learn vi!

Please don't make me do that!    ;-)

--
Walter M. Pawley <walt@wump.org>
Wump Research & Company