Plugging in ethernet

Andrew yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 02 Aug 2004 22:06:15 -0400

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 20:08, Scott S. Condie wrote:
> A question for those that know more than I.  I was able to get ydl
> 3.0.1 running on my Wallstreet Powerbook (thanks to all those that
> helped) and now have a question about ethernet.  When I start the PB
> with the ethernet cable plugged in it works like a charm (i.e. I can
> access the internet), but I can't figure out how to tell the computer
> that the cable is plugged in if I plug it in after the computer is
> on.  This is useful if I am working at home and then need to go to
> work and just want to put it to sleep instead of shutting down for
> the trip.
>
> I believe it has something to do with the 'eth0 interface' that is
> mentioned in the log from the start up script, but I don't know what
> that is or how to make it work outside of startup.
>
> Your help is appreciated.

> Scott

I know two ways to shutdown ethernet connection. The first step would be
to allow 'users' to activate/deactivate the device. You may as well
bypass this step and use 'su' every time...

Edit (as root), using whatever text-editor you like:
change 'USRCTRL=no' to 'USRCTRL=yes' and save the changes.

 As for actually activate/deactivate the ethernet device, the tool I use
the most is 'Network Device control' via KMenu's  System Tools. You can
also use the command line with 'ifup eth0' to connect and 'ifdown eth0'
to disconnect.

 Thats it, Thats all :)