Plugging in ethernet

Derick Centeno yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
03 Aug 2004 12:42:22 -0400

Within Gnome there exists the Network Configuration App (entitled just
plain Network) which is available under System Settings.  You'll notice
it will list the devices you have set up.

If you did not activate eth0 during your installation sequence so that
it is active when Linux boots, then here is where to do so.

I'll split this into two discussions:

1. Nothing exists in the Devices area
2. eth0 is present and it's Status is Active. (This would be the result
of activating eth0 during installation process of YDL.

Discussion 1:
Click upon the Icon called "New", this will open a dialog box called,
"Add new Device Type" with the title Select Device Type.  Then
underneath that a column appears with several connection types; select
Ethernet connection and then click the Forward button.

Next the program will provide you with an option to configure the
ethernet card it finds or another ethernet card.  Click Forward.

Next you are asked whether you want the system to "automatically obtain
IP addresses" be careful to select the correct Pop-up alternative or
whether you already have IP addresses to which you have been assigned.
I you have IP addresses which a System Admin has given you select
"Statically set IP addresses" this would be standard within a corporate
or other environment in which you are an employee using their network.

Discussion 2:
You will notice that what was done in above is already done for you.

Consider using a unique hostname of your own; or if you work within a
corporate structure use the hostname you are given; avoid the hostname
localhost.  Note that if after you select a hostname under the hosts tab
you'll see that the alias name of your chosen host name will be:
localhost.localdomain.localhost
that is ok.

After all that however is done and "set up" all you need to do is press
upon either the Activate or Deactivate button according to your need.

Best wishes...