OO 1.1.2 Installation

Frank Hieber yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
03 Sep 2004 18:54:20 -0700

I've been fighting my hard drive to install Open Office 1.1.2 for
several weeks now.  I figured out how to remove the old version, but now
the new version will only install as root.  When it installs other user
can not see it, or if they can see it, they can not run it.  I need some
guidance on this.  Who, How, and Where should it be installed?  I tried
doing it logged in as me(ie not ROOT), then SU'd in the terminal.  This
appeared to work, but nothing was installed in the applications menu and
when I try to run it from the terminal it bombs out.  Anyone have a
clue?  I really don't understand the file structure in Linux yet.  In
Mac OS everything goes in the applications folder, in Windows everything
goes in the Program Files folder.  In Linux it goes where ever the hell
it wants to...

Frank