XMMS freezes, what gives?

Derick Centeno yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
04 Sep 2004 18:38:23 -0400

Dear Roger:
Here is something to consider which you may not have been aware of; the
observation you are making regarding xine most likely is not an issue
having to do with xine at all but with the drivers available in your
kernel or invoked upon command AND how the manufacturer of your dvd
device designed your dvd reader or writer.

Read what follows and see if you can make sense of it on your own.
Explanations follow afterward.  For reference "arakus" is the name of my
Mac when it boots into Linux; it's my nod to the world of Dune!

The following was generated in part by doing cd /var/log and then vim
messages, what follows is a portion of the messages boot file for Sept
4:
   7195 Sep  4 15:22:47 arakus kernel: hda: LITE-ON LTR-52327S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
   7196 Sep  4 15:22:47 arakus kernel: Probing IDE interface ide1...
    .
    .
    .

   7224 Sep  4 15:22:47 arakus kernel: SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
   7225 Sep  4 15:22:47 arakus kernel: scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
   7226 Sep  4 15:22:47 arakus kernel:   Vendor: LITE-ON   Model: LTR-52327S        Rev: QS57
   7227 Sep  4 15:22:47 arakus kernel:   Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision        : 02
   7228 Sep  4 15:22:47 arakus kernel: mesh: configured for synchronous 5 MB/s
   7229 Sep  4 15:22:47 arakus kernel: mesh: performing initial bus reset...
   7230 Sep  4 15:22:47 arakus kernel: scsi1 : MESH
   7231 Sep  4 15:22:47 arakus keytable:
   7232 Sep  4 15:22:47 arakus kernel: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
   7233 Sep  4 15:22:47 arakus kernel: sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 99x/52x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

In my opinion it is a good skill to be able to System messages.  Terse
they are, but once you get the hang of it -- very informative.  Did you
notice line 7195?  The System is informing me that this is a DVD-ROM,
but I actually bought from the vendor a CDR/RW drive!  So what gives?

The manufacturer provided firmware into the device so that it can run AS
a DVD-ROM!  Apparently MANY manufacturers do this and this is what the
Linux system kernel is telling us.

But the story doesn't end there, see lines 7226 and 7227?  The Linux
kernel is calling the SAME DEVICE a CDROM!   Later at lines 7231/2/3 we
see the ide-scsi driver kick in and identify the drive along a scsi
chain although the drive itself is an IDE drive.

The plot thickens ... as Sherlock Holmes would say if he had been a
Linux/Unix programmer.  The reason ide-scsi has to do that is because
programs which allow xine, xmms and others to work at all read scsi
devices only!

I hear the Dana Carvey's Church Lady character say just about now,
"Isn't That Special!?"  And, yes, it is.

What to do?  Make sure your kernel is having the right modules and
drivers invoked upon command at boot time!  Once properly invoked the
drivers will take action and write to fstab.  Then your issue should be
resolved as you actually bought a DVD drive as a DVD drive; which is
different from my situation where I have the firmware of a DVD drive.

Best wishes...