Should I wait for ydl v4?

Derick Centeno yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
18 Sep 2004 03:30:57 -0400

Consider posting what "questions" were being asked of you during the
install process which spooked you.  There are some Linux installation
processes and procedures which are not under the control of Terra Soft
Solutions but are designed by Red Hat and of course others...open source
always means others...many forget that!

I'm guessing but probably a subroutine known as kudzu, whose job it is
to figure out what modules to include with the kernel so that your
hardware can run in Linux was asking you what to include and giving you
time to approve or disapprove of its decisions.  Killing the
installation process because kudzu spooked you is like killing the
midwife or nurse just because they went to get an instrument to assist
in delivery which you felt should only be used on a horse!

Messy...unnecessary...and there will be some explaining to do about...
well you should get the picture.

Luckily, for you all that's likely to happen is that kudzu will come up
...again... ask you the same thing ....again.... you'll kill it again...
and your installation will NEVER take place ...you'll be waiting for a
Red Hat based release without kudzu which most likely will never come
because it is doing a job the rest of us understand.

Kudzu's job, is to notice what is connected and add the appropriate
drivers to the kernel during boot time; if there are devices which had
been previously on,but are turned off during a particular booting
process...Kudzu will also appear and ask you that it notices something
is missing and instruct you that it is prepared to remove the drivers
for that device which it previously installed...it is merely asking your
permission to either do so or allow whatever it installed previously to
remain installed.  There is even a third choice...it will do nothing.
It is better on the first boot to let kudzu install whatever it wishes.

You won't see kudzu again unless it notices that a device which had been
present before is not present during a current boot process.

However if you told kudzu during the first boot to do nothing even if it
notes devices it never saw before; your devices won't work because kudzu
was told to do nothing and doing nothing for kudzu means not installing
any drivers.

Kudzu for whatever reason, was written by some engineer not an English
literature professor and so understanding what it is and not saying can
be a bit confusing....This is not your fault.

Engineers and programmers should take more humanities courses such as
English...that is just a fact.  Unfortunately, for you, and me and
others our educational system doesn't agree and forces ever greater
specialization where many experts are even beginning to fail to
understand even one another because they are not even in the same field!
So we all muddle on....