Real simple: how do I see my cd drive?

Clinton MacDonald clint.macdonald at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 23 14:30:22 MDT 2004

Mr. Smalbro:

Welcome aboard!

Studio Smalbro wrote:
> I have just installed yellow dog with the Gnome interface on
> my old Imac. I am a real newbie - How do I see whats on a cd?

If you think of the top level of your hard drive as "/" (that's what it
is called in Linux -- it's not your desktop at the top), a CD-ROM will
be located at "/dev/cdrom". External devices like hard drives and
CD-ROMs are located in the "/dev" directory (I know -- it makes no sense
to me, either). You can go there one of two ways...

> I miss a Finder/Explorer program...

There *is* a Finder-type program called "Nautilus" in Gnome. If you
click on the desktop icon called (I think -- I am not at my YDL box
right now) "Home," it will open Nautilus. You can also find your home
directory in the start menu at the left hand side of the panels bar.
Within Nautilus, you can go up and down through the directories until
you reach "/dev/cdrom."

The second way is using the command line console. Type "cd /dev/cdrom"
and it should take you to your cdrom drive. Type "ls" or "ls -al" to see
a listing of what is in your CD-ROM. Find out more about the "cd" and
"ls" commands by typing "man cd" or "man ls."

It sounds as if you need a book or manual to get you started with
Linux/YDL (don't be shy -- everyone needs such a book). Here is another
place to get started:

<http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/start>
<http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/Learning+More/Learning+More+about+Linux>

Good luck!