Mozilla & Firefox

Olaf Olson oolson at hadleyconnection.com
Tue Sep 28 19:59:17 MDT 2004

Eric,

I see you got it before I could respond with advice. Bill also mentioned
"spiffing up your yum.conf" instructions at the FAQ site. Since that
involves changing it to include a more reliable mirror for ydl 3.0.1,
it's still a good idea. firefox, thunderbird, and even mozilla 1.6 come
from freshrpms.net, which, I see you have found.

The FAQ also suggests some more yum commands that are useful, among them

yum -help
yum list partialname*   where you replace partialname with part of the
name of the product you want information about

[root at PlanB-YDL root]# yum list firefox
Server: Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 base
Server: Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 freshrpms
Server: Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Looking in Available Packages:
Name                                Arch   Version                  Repo

Looking in Installed Packages:
Name                                Arch   Version                  Repo
firefox                             ppc    0.9.2-5.0.yd3.fr         db

This should also tell you that which you must already know. You must be
root to properly use yum. You can use "sudo yum..." but I prefer to
actually *be* root, so I can do a few other things while I am installing
or waiting to install.

Olaf