Newbie wants to make 8600 server

Bruce info at realpeople-realplaces.com
Thu Oct 28 14:48:05 MDT 2004

Hi Group,

I downloaded YDL OS folder and have yet to burn anything to CD. Several very
newbie questions:

What set of files do I burn to which disks?

I have a Mac 8600/300 512mb Ram, 9gb hd, 4gb hd, Orange Micro USB/FW card,
built in 100mb zip and CD read only drive.

>From what I have read so far, I understand I have to reformat and partition
the drive. I¹ll need to buy a 10/100 network card to replace the 10bt card
that is already there. Will linux recongnize my firewire/usb card? Will it
recognize whatever new network card I purchase?

What is my next step?  Burn the CDs? Then wipe the drives and run the bootx
program. I have been on a mac since 1988, and have administered a small mac
based network, but I know nothing about what I¹m doing here.

Any conversation and help will be appreciated.

Newbie in Ohio.

Bruce