Very Newbie trying to run MOL

mascarasnake dontdrill at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 4 21:16:29 MST 2004

Hey Nately -

Welcome to As the Dog Turns!

Nathan Cashion wrote:

<snip>

> So how do I:
> 1.  Learn how to use the terminal and understand the command line
> terminology... and

It's a good thing you put this as question #1, because this really is
the first thing you need to learn (at the very *least* on a rudimentary
level). To answer: Google yer arse off. There are countless sites out
there that can help you out there (as well as confuse you to no end).
Here's a couple of links to get you on the road:
	<http://www.osxfaq.com/Tutorials/LearningCenter/index.ws>
This site is Maccentric, but kinda holds your hand through the
transition between GUI to CLI and the commands are essentially the same.
	<http://www.linux.org/lessons/index.html>
This is where I began my journey with Linux commands last year. Nice,
light tutorial.

There is also a YDL FAQ community driven (the folks from the mailing
lists) site that addresses most issues you will encounter and will help
you straighten out the learning curve:
	<http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/start>
hit the links for "Moving from Mac to Linux" and "Learning More" for
good references.

> 2.  Get MOL to run?

Really, to get MOL up and running, you need some CLI background.
Basically (for some reason) 3.0.1 came with a kernel (2.4.22-2f) that is
incompatible with the 0.9.69 Mol modules. You'll need too upgrade the
kernel to the 2.4.22-2g version. This will be using 'yum'. You can catch
  this info by searching the mailing list archives from the top right on
any YDL page (this is a much revisited topic) and from the FAQ site I
gave you above.

> Thanks for your help.
>
> Nately

g'luck