iMac 333 Won't Boot After Install

Norberto Quintanar nquintanar at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 12:20:18 MST 2004

--- "S. J. Cunningham" > wrote:

> Sorry for being so clueless but I can't find the information to fix
>
> this.  I installed YD 4.0 on an iMac 333 with one 6g ATA hard disk
> and
> chose the single partition install, ie Yellow Dog only.
> Installation
> completed fine but on reboot I get the question mark folder.
>
> The article at
>

> http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/
> drive_jumpers.shtml
>
> suggests that the problem is the jumpers on the disk drive and
> suggests
> to change them or "boot into rescue mode and fix /etc/fstab
> settings".
>
>   I'd prefer not to open the case and fool around with the jumpers
> since
> I am not confident I even have the correct information to reset
> them.
> I figured out how to boot into rescue mode and look at the
> /etc/fstab
> table but how do I "fix" it?  I can't find any information on the
> site
> as to what the correct entries should be.  The manual page for
> fstab
> doesn't help.
>
> I know I probably just have to change an "a" to a "b" somewhere.
> I'd
> appreciate any help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Go into rescue mode again and let us know what you have in /etc/fstab

A typical fstab looks something like the following:

#
# /etc/fstab
#

/dev/hdb5  /            ext2     	defaults       	1 	1
/dev/hdb2  /home        ext2     	defaults       	1 	2
/dev/hdc   /mnt/cdrom   iso9660  	noauto,ro,user 	0 	0
/dev/hda1  /mnt/dos/c   msdos    	defaults       	0 	0
/dev/hdb1  /mnt/dos/d   msdos    	defaults       	0 	0
/dev/fd0   /mnt/floppy  ext2     	noauto,user    	0 	0
/dev/hdb4  none         ignore   	defaults       	0 	0

none       /proc        proc     	defaults
/dev/hdb3  none         swap     	sw

Send us a copy of yours.

Norberto