iMac 333 Won't Boot After Install

S. J. Cunningham ir000178 at nc.rr.com
Mon Dec 6 17:50:34 MST 2004

On Dec 6, 2004, at 2:20 PM, Norberto Quintanar wrote:

> Go into rescue mode again and let us know what you have in /etc/fstab
>

> A typical fstab looks something like the following:
[snip]

> Send us a copy of yours.

Norberto,

I previously had used the automatic partition feature to set up the
disk as a Linux only system.  Since I couldn't get that to work I went
back and used Disk Druid as per the "Companion to Installing" to set up
the boot, root, and swap partitions.  I still get the question mark
folder on reboot at the end of installation.  Using rescue I gathered
the following information:

pdisk shows:

Partition Map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/hda'
#:                type name       length   base    ( size )
1: Apple_partition_map Apple          63 @ 1
2:     Apple_Bootstrap*untitled     2048 @ 64      (  1.0M)
3:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap       393120 @ 2112    (192.0M)
4:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled 12199632 @ 395328  (  5.8G)

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=12594960 (6.0G)
DeviceType=0x0, Device Id=0x0
Drivers-
1:  20 @ 64, type=0x701
2:  33 @ 128, type=0xf8ff

fstab shows:

/dev/hda4       /             ext3    defaults        1 1
none            /dev/pts      devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none            /dev/shm      tmpfs   defaults        0 0
none            /proc         proc    defaults        0 0
none            /sys          sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda3       swap          swap    defaults        0 0

I don't have any /etc/yaboot.conf , I assume because I only have one
system to boot.  I am thinking there should be a "/dev/hda2  boot" line
in the fstab file, no?

I am stumped :-(

Steve