sound

Andrew Mason andrew at assertis.net
Mon Dec 6 11:34:17 MST 2004

On 06/12/2004, at 7:20 PM, Eric Dunbar wrote:

>>> With the migration fro OSS to ALSA the sound got jack'd. As per the
>>> Yellow Dog site.
>>
>>> Ubuntu Linux works very well and easy to install (IMHO)
>>
>> What help is that?
>> Why do you KEEP on plugging Ubuntu, this is a YDL group.
>> As for the YDL sound,it is broken, but I guess it will be fixed with
>> the
>> first errata. I've had some success on my G3 ibook, will post here
>> when I'm
>> satisfied.
>> Colin
>
> It seems like a lot of familiar names are now popping up on the Ubuntu
> mailing lists ;-).
>
> I think it may prove to be a particularly potent challenger to YDL in
> the PPC sphere of things since Ubuntu's computing philosphy borrows
> somewhat from Apple's (and, in the end, the reason most of us are on
> PPC is not because we're loyal to Motorola or IBM but to Apple's OS
> design philosphy and to the quality and/or style of Apple's hardware
> (the only reason I'm not running Linux on an i86 is that I don't want
> to have yet another computer in the house)).
>
> Eric.

I've just come from using ubuntu, yes its easy to install and alot of
stuff does work out of the box (i am assuming this is more to do with
its debian ties) but YDL 4.0 is so much more polished and professional
looking. Although my modem isn't working yet, my g/f feels much more at
home with YDL than she did with ubuntu, and to not include KDE for PPC
is a major drawback for me, and quite a few others. As good as ubuntu
is, I think YDL is in a different league on the mac....

  just my 2c

Andrew