Beige G3 all-in-one

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Tue Dec 21 09:45:14 MST 2004

Hi RJGOOS:

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 11:00, rjgoos at ydl.net wrote:
> I have a beige G3 all-in-one. ...A couple questions:
>
> 1.  Regarding YDL 3...what the heck is up with this distorted screen thing
> on the installation program?  Any way around that?
I have a G3 Minitower with which I have run Mac OS 8.0 up to the last
incarnation of Mac OS 9.  I have also been using YDL since Champion
Server 1.0.  Throughout that period I do recall having come across the
"distorted screen" during installation you have discussed.  Before you
go out and replace your video card, see if the video is working from the
Mac OS side.  That is use Monitor or other video controls available and
check the settings from within the Mac OS.  Also if you are really
lucky, you may have an old version of MacTools Pro lying around.  Use
MacTools to test the Mac's video card.  I have a version of MacTools Pro
which runs on the last incarnation of System 9; I believe it is still
available on the market; it has a no nonsense complete video test suite
and other incredibly interesting and thorough tests.  Through Mactools
you will discover how your video card is performing as well as other Mac
circuits, RAM, Video RAM, etc.  Do whatever Mactools recommends.

Then AFTER all that double check your Monitor and other video settings
following Mactools recommendations and THEN see what Linux does when you
run the installation program again as you boot into it from BootX also
check to make sure you are using the RAM disk and you have entered that
number (8192) into the appropriate BootX field!

> 2.  Regarding YDL 4, does that work with a beige G3 all-in-one?  The YDL web
> site doesn't say either way.

I remember reading a posting to this mailing list that someone at Terra
Soft is working on a HOW TO for G3 systems.  But it is not yet
completed.

After you have gotten through the above you should be able after a
successful installation to upgrade the YDL 3.0 kernel to at least linux
2.6.5; that's what I'm running now.  But it is not simple to get there.
You may want to consult the YDL FAQ website for more information.
Here's the link: www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/start

Best wishes and happy holidays...