Can't login successfully

Clinton MacDonald clint.macdonald at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 9 13:02:42 MST 2005

Don:

Don wrote:
> Screen shows the "Welcome to localhost.localdomain" message above asking
> for the Username. I only used my first name capitalized as is most
> logical and impossible to confuse.

Okay, that may be your problem right there. For whatever inscrutable
reason, Linux (and most Unix-like operating systems including Mac OS X)
will only allow lowercase letters in the username. Don't question it or
try to change it, it's The Linux Way(TM).

Also, just in case, make sure your caps lick key is not engaged, as the
password DOES allow upper and lower case letters (and requires them when
you enter your password later).

Good luck. Your main frustration is in trying to interact with your
computer as if it were a reasonable human being. It might be a human
being on some days, but it is never reasonable.

Best wishes,
Clint
("Don't anthropomorphize computers -- they hate it.")