Why Yellowdog?

Andrew Mason andrew at assertis.net
Thu Jan 20 00:39:06 MST 2005

Well if you love OSX then use OSX. There are a lot of people who like apple's
hardware but don't like their OS. I don't like aqua, I feel it gets in my way
and i'd much rather use KDE, Gnome or XFCE over aqua. Also aqua isn't network
transparent, where as a DE that sits on top of X is. Another thing that Linux
has over OSX is its speed and responsiveness. You probably wont notice it
much on a g4 but on a g3 800 its a lot quicker to boot, to get into a GUI, to
use and app, and respond under load. If you use mainly aqua apps on your mac
then the reasons for running Linux aren't going to be as great either,
however all of my favorite applications are X11 based and I don't want to
have to run X on top of aqua, then GTK/Qt apps on top of that. its a waste of
resources.

PLUS Linux has tux racer :)

hope you found this useful.

Andrew