Newbie MOL question

Brian McKee besomethingelse at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 3 13:54:30 MST 2005

On Thursday, February 3, 2005, at 03:05  PM, Julie Sadler wrote:

> #1: I am a super newbie to linux, like 3 days old. So lets keep it
> simple,
> thanx...(I am a 20 year mac user however)
>
> We successfully loaded YDL on a bwG3 and we are attempting to MOL.
> At first, we could load MOL, and it would take over the screen,
> denying any
> access to linux. From screenshots I see on the web--I should see MOL
> inside
> of linux.
Hi Julie
If you start MOL from a console
(hit control-alt-f1 all at once, log in and type startmol -X)
you get a full screen Mac OSX on tty8
(which is a fancy way of saying hit control-alt-f8)
while your KDE desktop still runs on tty7 (cntrl-alt-f7)

If you are in a terminal program on top of KDE and type startmol -X
it should run in that same window.    If it isn't, there is a setting
somewhere wrong I'm not familiar with...

>  Went to yum, and did a yum update. It
> found many little pieces and downloaded them all successfully. NOW
> here is
> the problem.
> When I start MOL...i get this--NO MOL anymore:(

Now, as for why it isn't working anymore.
Your MOL has been updated to work with an updated kernel
(2.6.9-1, that's what the --list option is showing you)
but your kernel is still the older 2.6.8-1
Now your MOL and your kernel are out of sync - they have to be
'made for each other' so to speak.
The reason this happened is yum won't update a kernel automatically
for safety reasons - you have to specifically ask it to do so.

Poke around the FAQ at www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/
and it will tell you exactly how to update
your kernel so it now matches your new MOL.
(I can't get to it from here, maybe someone else
will give you a direct link)

Hope this makes sense,
Brian