Trouble booting YDL amongst OS X partitions and disks

Frederick C.Lee fclee at highstream.net
Thu Mar 17 17:06:28 MST 2005

Greetings:
	After several installs using various schemes,  I managed to install my
YDL 4.0.1 onto a partitioned drive by isolating it from others:
unplugging all the other hard drives.  Better yet, if I had dedicated
the ENTIRE drive to YDL, then I can reboot.

	However, once I booted in OS X (Jaguar partition of the same drive; or
via Panther from an external drive), the G4 Mac fails to identify the
Linux disk and I'm unable to boot from that disk/partition again.
That's true with all the extraneous disks removed, leaving the sole
disk with the Jaguar/Linux partitions.  It appears that the YDL resets
the file type from either HFS+ or UFS into its own file type during
installation.   So the OS X can NOT see/recognize the YDL disk.

The scenario: YDL allows me to boot from either partition (OS X/Linux)
via its character prompt.  But once I've booted from the OS X,  the box
is a dedicated OS X, not the hybrid OS X/Linux.

Question: How can I boot in either OS X or Linux?    That is, how can I
make OS X 'see' the Linux partition (logical disk) and select it as the
boot disk?

It appears that I must either have a 100% Linux or 100% Mac OS X.  I
want to be able to have both OSes available from the same machine.

Also, how can I exchange files between the environments?   The
installation appears to replace the HFS+ for its own structure.

Regards,

Ric.