Installing YDL v4.0.1 on Mac G4 with other drives, partitions and OSes

Frederick C.Lee fclee at highstream.net
Fri Mar 18 12:02:21 MST 2005

Greetings:
	I'm into my nth install attempt via both manual and automatic.  The
scenario:
1 External HD running Panther,
2 Internal HDs, one of which is partitioned into Jaguar/Linux (about
1/4 size ratio).  The second HD is for data storage.

After a few attempts, I had settled on the automatic approach using
ext3 file system.
I had disconnected the external and the second internal HD to avoid
risk of damage during Linux Installation.

By this time I had memorized the cryptic id of the correct target
partition to install YDL.

So all went well and I was able to boot via either partition via the
ALT key at reboot.

The problem:

	When I reattached the external and 2nd internal drives and did a
reboot, only the Mac OS Xes were available for booting via the ALT.
The Linux was absent.
I've checked via the ExtFSManager System Pref. and can easily see the
Linux sub-partitions there.

Question #1: Is there anyway to reset something to allow the Linux boot
to be seen via ALT at startup, if necessary?
Question #2: Why did this occur?

So I had to re-install everything.  This time I purposely  left BOTH
external HD and the 2nd HD in place so the LInux process can SEE these
HDs if need to.   <-- all HDs plugged in.

After re-installing YDL and rebooting in Linux,  then Jaguar and
Panther (external drive), I can still see ALL OS icons via ALT key at
startup.

Hypothesis:  If I change the configuration (remove a HD), perhaps Linux
may be lost; and/or re-attaching HD(s) and rebooting...perhaps then I
would loose Linux.

So back to Question #2: does changing the HD/Peripheral attachments
prior to startup, have any effect on the Linux boot partition being
seen?

I'm trying to get a STABLE system going here, before I invest time and
sweat into loading tons of software.

Regards,

Ric.
pseudo Linux-Psychologist Intern