maintenance and disk full ?'s

Andrew Mason andrew at assertis.co.uk
Mon Mar 28 23:46:26 MST 2005

On Monday 28 March 2005 3:46 pm, Kevin McMahon wrote:
> what are the maintenance commands that I can run via the terminal like
> the ones that I can run in osx (sudo periodic weekly) fix permissions
> etc?
You generally don't need these as most of the software you get its from ydl
and doesn't alter permissions, and 3rd party software like k3b will tell you
if its changing permissions. There is an rpm command which will make sure the
db and perms are correct, but i can't remember what it is and i'm not on my
mac atm.

> Also my disk is full all of a sudden and I am wondering where to
> get rid of some files or directorys to get some more space back, in my
> home directory it is only about 1 meg and am wondering where all the
> files are that have filled my disk?
du -h will give you an idea where the space is going, but you can attribute
most of it to fedora being bloated. I love YDL, and i think its great but
compared to other PPC distros its bloody huge.

> Are there some commands to run to
> get rid of some files that I no longer need?
rm -rf <files/dirs you no longer need> :)
> And where do I look to
> delete some unimportant files.
/tmp/  but be careful if you use kde...might be a good idea to set up a
shutdown script which will get rid of all the files in /tmp on shutdown.

> I alloted 6 gigs to ydl 4.0 and like I
> said my disk is full all of a sudden... Any help is greatly
> appreciated...
I told you it was massive....

Andrew Mason,
Assertis Limited,
2nd Floor,
22 Warwick Park,
Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN2 5TB

T: 0845 22 55 907
F: 01892 546278
http://www.assertis.co.uk

The information in this Internet email is confidential and intended
for the sole use of the addressee/addressees. Access, copying,
disclosure or re-use, in any way, of the information contained in this
email by anyone other than the addressee/addressees is unauthorised
Internet communication and not secure. We accept no legal
responsibility for the content of the message. Any opinions or views
presented are solely the responsibility of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of Assertis Ltd. If you have read this email
 in error, please return it to the sender.