hellish - don't bother

Ed Sutherland digital at twcny.rr.com
Mon Jun 13 09:24:17 MDT 2005

Eric Dunbar wrote:

> I hate automobiles. I'm waiting for the day when it becomes legal to
> take a sledge to those utterly anti-social monster SUVs, or to some
> !!!hole running a red or parking illegally.

Don't waste your energy; market economics will pound automakers into
their senses, as we see with GM's slow demise from their over-production
of SUVs and other cars consumers don't want -- even if you give them
away. I'm hoping for a nice little electric car for zipping around town,
rather than some off-road behemoth who's only purpose is keeping Exxon
in business.

> That said, Linux is not ideal for all situations. If you need your
> word processor or spread sheet not to crash on you half-way through a
> search or need guaranteed compatibility with others, then Windows/Mac
> with MS Office is definitely the way to go. If you don't make your
> living off those activities then OpenOffice.Org is certainly an

I'm in one of those activities where crash-proof reliability trumps
fascination with an alternative computing lifestyle. For myself, Linux
would be a fun recreational outlet -- if I had the time. :)

But I'm not one of those fire-breathing live-free-or-die OS people;
rather, I subscribe to the to-each-his-own philosophy (which I know is
pretty politically-incorrect during these days of intollerance.)

Ed