Activating built-in Ethernet on my Blue & White running YDL 4.0.1 (Answer found)

Clinton MacDonald clint.macdonald at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 6 09:25:57 MDT 2005

Mr. Sean:

icl051 wrote:
> On 6 Aug 2005, at 14:51, icl051 wrote:
>> I've installed YDL 4.0.1 on a Blue & White 350MHz and am
>> using the built-in Ethernet. Ethernet works fine when
>> booted in to OS 9 or OS X but not in Linux.
>>
>> ifup eth0 says that the device does not seem to be present.
>> [...]
> My apologies, I should have looked a bit harder.
>
> The solution was found on this site
>
> http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/installation/
>
> Please ignore my previous mail.

Do not apologize! And, since this is a newbies list, feel free to post
the answer you found to your problem. From the Web page you cited, the
solution seems to be a modprob.conf change:

"Ethernet detection on B&W G3s ...
YDL 4.0.1 will incorrectly detect the internal bmac ethernet chip on B&W
  G3s, the solution is easy: Edit /etc/modprobe.conf changing "alias
eth0 sungem" to "alias eth0 bmac" and ifup eth0 should now work correctly."

Best wishes,
Clint