partitioning questions

David Froseth dfro at umich.edu
Tue Aug 9 14:58:11 MDT 2005

Derick,
    I have finally got what I think is a good bootable backup of my OS X
& 9 HD, using DiskWarrior and Carbon Copy Cloner.  I think some of my
last YDL partitioning problems came from trying to copy to and swap a
new hard drive into my laptop without ever doing any disk maintenance.
A little knowledge can give you enough confidence to get into big
trouble.  Then you really learn something!  I think my original HD was
so gummed up with borken permissions and directories that the copy hard
drive I installed in my computer was a mess.  I think YDL and all other
Linux distros could start by telling people that if they plan on a
partitioned multi-os system then clean up the os's on the existing
partitions.  Do a disk first aid operation.
    I don't think you should attemt to install YDL untill you have
mastered how to make a bootable clone of your OS X hard drive.  I could
be way off on this, maybe it doesn't matter.  But, I have spent a week
getting my new hard drive and all of my OS X programs working again.  I
eventually deleted my fink /sw file and I am now reloading all of those
programs.  Having to relearn all of the fink stuff again is good.  I
also have gained a much deeper and valuable understanting of the
underpinings of unix based os's by struggling with a fried hard drive
(actually 3 fried hard drives).  Luckily I did not lose any important data.
    I read the YDL 2.2 guide and that made the process much more
understandable.  Thanks for the advice.  In trying my next attempt to
install YDL,  I got to this point and had some questions:

Hard Drives
    /dev/hda
       /dev/hda9                Apple Bootstrap            1
          2                      4
       /dev/hda10               swap                              512
               4                     1045
       /dev/hda12        /      ext3
18487              1045               38605
       /dev/hda11               hfs
51769             38605              143786
       /dev/hda13               hfs
5422               144046            155061

My questions are:

Why does the OS X and OS 9 partitions have the number hda11 and hda13?
Why does the numbering start so high and why is 12 skipped by OSX and OS 9?
Where are hda1 - hda8?
Is hda12 going to be physically placed between hda11 and hda13?  The
picture at the top of the window looked right.  The order of the Start
and End points seems to be right, except for the gap between hda11 and
hda13's start/end points - 143786,144046.  What does that mean?
Should hda11 and hda13 say hfs+?

I hope all of these little detail questions are relevent.  Asking
questions about little details can help with the big picture.  Any
advice you feel like giving would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Dave