Command line question

Kathryn Tate kathryntate at comcast.net
Mon Sep 12 22:37:12 MDT 2005

I think I know what you are talking about now--though I could be wrong
but will take a stab at it.
bash is the default shell of all linux distros--at least to my
knowledge.
And what you noticed changing was the prompt at the command line, not
the shell. For example, when you su as root, you probably noticed the
prompt change from $ to #. The reason this happens is for security--to
let you know that you now have super user privileges so watch what you
do as you could mess something up.

If you don't like the dollar sign as your prompt, you can configure
this as well.
You can change what your prompt looks like.

If this is what you were talking about, let me know and I'll show you
how to change your prompt.

Kathryn