G5 fan revving problems with YDL 4.0.1?

Brian Durant RoadTripDK at MyRealBox.Com
Sat Jan 21 07:16:27 MST 2006

On 20. jan 2006, at 22.11, Derick Centeno wrote:

> Ok.
>
> From the OS X side, go under the apple menu select About This Mac.
> Then click upon more info. Check under Hardware and see if you find
> something under Fan Control.
> At this point I'm guessing (I don't have a G5); if Fan Control is
> anywhere it should show up there.  If you select it, the firmware
> details should show up.
>
> This is just a hunch, but you may just get more information by
> accessing the Console within the Utilities Folder, which is found
> within the Applications folder -- at least it is there in OS X
> 10.3.9.  So open Console and look at it's logs -- all of them since
> we don't know actually where this information would be.  It makes
> sense however that all hardware would report output to the console
> log.  So why not look there?  Just guessing of course, but maybe
> this could lead to something useful.
>
> Best of luck...

Sooo.... I tried booting from the installer disc (YDL 4.0.1) and with
"install-g5". At least with the kernel used on the install disk, the
fan revving problem is still there. I went all the way through the
process, including partitioning and package selection before I
bailed. I have two internal SATA drives. sda (OS X) and sdb (hoping
to install Linux). I bailed because I couldn't tell which drive YDL
was about to be installed on. I know about the issue with installing
Linux on a second internal SATA drive and yaboot and PRAM settings,
but I am not prepared to change that at this time. I am just trying
to see if I can get a system without fan revving as a first priority.

Where do I go from here?

Cheers,

Brian