yellowdog-newbie Digest, Vol 21, Issue 13

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Tue May 30 22:09:03 MDT 2006

Hi Juan:
I am glad that the information is useful to you.  Two books which could
be helpful are:

1. Linux Systems Administration:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00012OWL0/qid=1149041810/sr=8-31/
ref=sr_1_31/103-8928068-4784621?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=551440

2. Linux Programming:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764546570/sr=8-8/qid=1149042112/
ref=pd_bbs_8/103-8928068-4784621?%5Fencoding=UTF8

There are many, many books cover these areas but one needs to begin
somewhere.  Choose a writer which makes sense to you and work from
there.

Clarifications you should be aware of.  Ubuntu Linux and YDL Linux
although they are Linux each require a certain amount of hard-drive
(HD) space dedicated just for them.  This means that Ubuntu Linux needs
about 10-20 GB and YDL Linux about the same.  One could quibble about
their needing less space -- which is quite true, but I'm assuming that
each version of Linux is actually doing something and some useful work
is being done within each Linux distribution means space for data.
Although there may be reasons to use different Linux distributions for
the PowerPC on one machine accessing one HD, in my mind this is a waste
of HD space.

More important than this however is what you mentioned regarding
Virtual PC and that you had installed a Linux distribution running on
top of or within Virtual PC.
That means that you also have a version of Linux designed to run on
Intel.  Regardless of which Linux you've installed within or on top of
Virtual PC (Suse, Red Hat, etc.) because they have to access your
computer's hardware by accessing Virtual PC first, that version of
Linux will be slow in comparison to the PowerPC version of Linux
accessing the PowerPC hardware directly.

The whole point of using Linux is to access the power of the hardware
faster, not slower.

It is true that not all applications available for Linux running on
Intel or compatible computers, are available or can be recompiled from
source to run on Linux running on PowerPC computers.   However, Virtual
PC cannot help you utilize those Linux applications intended for Intel
systems accurately because Virtual PC only has access to the PowerPC
hardware, not Linux itself which is running within or on top of Virtual
PC.  In short, you won't get an accurate sense of what that application
can or cannot do because Virtual PC cannot approach or run at the same
speed as Intel anyway.

The best rationale for using Linux on a PowerPC is to have full access
to the power of the PowerPC so that it's full capacity is available to
your programming and other technical skills.  Likewise the best
rationale for using Linux on an Intel system is similar.

The computer architectures are different for a reason and although
programs like Virtual PC which are emulators (they allow a PowerPC to
look like an Intel chip or they allow an Intel chip to look like a
PowerPC) -- they -- emulators -- suffer from the same problem, they are
slow.  By the way there are free emulators which are better than
Virtual PC and are available for use within OS X, Linux running on
PowerPC and Linux running on Intel; they also however are slow as well.
  The only really good thing about such emulators is that they are free.
  Virtual PC is a Microsoft product and is not free.

Best wishes....