Problems installing Yellow Dog Linux onto Old World Mac

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Mon Aug 21 08:34:17 MDT 2006

Hi Jeffrey!

Regarding testing the CDs themselves:

There are two different procedures which may be useful:

1.  Test and compare the md5sum values of the .iso files which were
downloaded, before they are burned onto a CD.
The md5sum values of the downloaded .iso files are compared against the
official or standard values published by TSS and available at each
public mirror for each version of YDL.  Expressed differently, each
version of YDL has different official/standard md5sum values for each
.iso; if the md5sum value of the downloaded .iso does not match with the
official/standard version which TSS has published as the correct value
-- then that .iso file is useless and you know at that point, before you
burn the CD, that something is wrong with that file.

If you have OS X, then you can run the md5sum check test from within the
Terminal application.  You can do:

$md5sum -b *.iso

And each .iso file will be listed together with the resulting md5sum
values generated by the test.  Compare the results against what TSS
published and that should identify a working file.  Although I do
believe that there are ways to use the md5sum test in the classic (Mac
OS 9 and earlier) environment, I don't recall what those are.

2.  Test the CDs themselves by using mediacheck.  Mediacheck is
available from within the 1st YDL Install CD and can be run from there.
Here's a brief detail regarding it's use:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/resources/ftp_mirrors.shtml

A different bit of information which could be useful as you currently
use dial-up.  Another participant here (John McGill) using yum
discovered yum reporting the following Error numbers 4 and 256.  They
appear as follows, note that here the ... refers to a directory name:

...gz:[Errno 4] Socket Error: timed out
...gz from base: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

He discovered that these errors are essentially problems related to the
fact that within yum.conf there is a variable called timeout which is
defined as 30sec.  His solution (which he demonstrated as working) was
to change the definition to 300sec, as follows:

timeout=300

If you discover that you need more time just put whatever number you
choose to use as a replacement in terms of seconds.

May you have success in your endeavors...
=======