Fwd: Problems installing Yellow Dog Linux onto Old World Mac

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 13:57:59 MDT 2006

On 24/08/06, Jeffrey Rolland <jrolland at softhome.net> wrote:
> Hello, all!
>
> Well, the installer *keeps* hanging, and, after 4 tries with hangs at
> the exact same point, I am giving up.
>
> Debian and Mandriva (nee Mandrake) are the only two distributions
> that support Old World Macs. I am going to defect and try Debian. I
> will post my successes and losses for those who cannot update to 4.1
> on Old World machines.
>
> I cannot thank you enough for your support. It was infinitely helpful.

The installer for 4.0 keeps hanging or for 4.1? The installer for 4.0
WILL hang at the end. It's a known problem and the work-around is
simple (I just don't remember off the top of my head).

PS (at the risk of occurring the wrath of the YDLers) I think Ubuntu
also supports OldWorld Macs (a work-around is needed to install, but,
that's probably the case with the other distros as well).