[Fwd: Re:Problems installing Yellow Dog Linux onto Old World Mac]

pstreibig pstreibig at bcj.com
Thu Aug 31 07:24:34 MDT 2006

jrolland at SoftHome.net wrote:
> Hello, all!
>
> Well, I checked the MD5Sum on the .iso I downloaded,and it's
> 33f5f2a407f36dfbb01946ece46bdf73, exactly what it's supposed to be (just
> as I thought). That means that either (a) something's wrong with the
> physical disk (which I doubt), (b) there's something wrong with my CD
> burner/Disk Utility (which I doubt) or (c) there's something entirely
> different going on, with 3.0.1 *and* 4.0 displaying these bizarre,
> reproducible errors.

Hello,
    At the risk of sounding a bit simplistic, this is where I'd suggest
that you "check the cables". (Honestly that would be my first course of
action.)
I know you mentioned that the drive was likely not a source of errors,
but how about other hardware?
Have you tried the Apple Support favorite "remove all third party ram"
and other components?  Checked the mobo battery? etc.
I've certainly run into more than my fair share of installation issues
due to one OS being more picky than another.
...like the time slackware's installation wiped the firmware on the
cd-rom, rendering it nonfunctional, mid install...
Have you ran a full sector check on the HD?  I have found it useful to
separate the install from the disk formatting/partitioning in the past.
That way you can use the appropriate fsck to check everything out before
installation.

best of luck,
:ps