Openoffice update.

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Mon Sep 4 14:24:28 MDT 2006

Andres,

If you visit open office.org you'll see that open office itself, because
it is open source, is free!  You only pay for it if you purchase CDs
from them!
Open Office is provided free as part of YDL together with hundreds of
other packages, you can't make the pitch you are attempting because it
is just easy to get for one's self.  Or perhaps nearly everyone else can
get it, except you -- for some reason.  You've my sympathy, and what
assistance I've provided here, but that is it.  I don't run a
corporation, a research center or anything of that sort to even consider
assisting you as you've asked.

Considering that Apple has abandoned the PPC market it appears that the
last laptop with a PPC in it will be the Powerbook G4.  It runs YDL 4.1
rather nicely, however I received this G4 as a gift.  Depending on where
you are the Powerbook G4 may not even be available anymore.

I have no way of knowing if any company will produce a PowerPC laptop in
the future.  A realistic view of the current market is that there may
not be a PowerPC laptop ever again, which means that your next laptop
will be the vanilla variety from Intel and it's knockoffs.  And that
means, if you stick with Linux, it will be a Linux running on an Intel,
which is not this list.

Sadly, that's a probability coming closer to becoming the reality every day.

Best wishes.....