Where is the Modem device?

Ebrahim Mayat ebmayat at mac.com
Wed Sep 6 06:32:30 MDT 2006

On Sep 5, 2006, at 11:59 PM, Derick Centeno wrote:

> Sorry to convey not-so-good news, Ebrahim:
>
> http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/hardware/breakdown/
> index.php?hw_cat_id=4
>
> Examine this page for information referring to the internal modem of
> various powerbooks and whether they are supported within YDL.  Note
> that
> quite a few are marked as Maybe which really means (read the fine
> print)
> that you have to download unsupported drivers from somewhere else.
> Where that somewhere else is can be found by clicking upon "here"
> marked
> in blue.
>
> Maybe this is just the reason to switch to DSL and other affordable
> high
> speed services finally, yes?

While I agree with you on the convenience of high-speed networking,
it is not a question of switching to high-speed services. The irony
of the situation is that depending on location, wireless is not a
reliable solution presently. The mandatory pre-configuration at every
new location is cumbersome and fraught with potential glitches (see
my posts circa mid-August). If you do not need to be mobile then It
seems that ethernet cable is the only reliable, viable alternative
8-) ....but the big desktop is wired this way.

> Good Luck.... Derick.
My post is merely an exploration of networking issues.

P.S. ALSA works on my PB. :-)