fsck and filesystem errors

Paul Higgins higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Fri Sep 15 20:32:35 MDT 2006

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction on this; is there
anything on the YDL site or elsewhere about doing a manual check/repair of
the filesystem at boot time?  I had a problem show up yesterday during a boot
after a power failure.  I was able to do an integrity check of the
filesystem, but I couldn't figure out what I was being asked to do after
that.  It looked like I was booted into some kind of single-user mode (it
asked for the root password), but I couldn't really tell if it was doing
anything with the disk (the drive on my iBook is really quiet).  There was
just the usual root prompt with blinking underlined cursor ("#_").  After it
just sat there for a while, I exited and went back to the regular boot
process.  However, I know that something still needs to be repaired.

I must be missing something here, but unfortunately my YDL manual doesn't
cover this at all.

Thanks,
-PRH