Missing Python dependencies for software installation

Ron Rogers Jr. CronoCloud at mchsi.com
Wed Feb 14 00:36:36 MST 2007

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:07:27 -0800 (PST)
dave k <davedavedavedave4 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> also is there a
> command that is used to find a bit of tetx within the gnome
> terminal? like if i wanted to search for the things im looking
> for in that list. i tried ctrl+f and find "" but no dice...

Simple fun with grep and pipes:

Did you know that you can send the output of a terminal command
to a file (with >) or another to another command with a pipe
( with | )

For example, to make a file of a directory listing

ls > directory_listing.txt

You can then search that file via any means you want, for
example using less, you could open the file

less directory_listing.txt

and then search it using

/string_you_are_searching_for

or you could use cat and grep

cat directory_listing.txt | grep string_you_are_searching_for

or even simpler

grep string_you_are_searching for directory_listing.txt

or you could run the output of the original command through grep

ls | grep string_you_are_searching_for

You can also do multiple searches

ls | grep whatever | grep
search_in_the_whatevers_for_something_else

a la:

ls | grep .txt | grep log

which will give me a listing of whatever filenames comtain
both .txt and log

you can also:

ls | grep .txt > listing_of_text_files.txt

Lots of fun.

CronoCloud (Ron Rogers Jr.)