ethernet

Paul Higgins higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Tue Apr 10 09:31:15 MDT 2007

I wonder if the file that he's describing is in fact a .torrent stub.  Those
files are really small because they just tell the BitTorrent client where to
look for the file.  If you don't have your client set up right, nothing
happens after you download the stub file.  (If the client *is* set up
correctly, then it should grab the file and begin downloading).  Usually
a .torrent file is around 10 kB, but that varies somewhat.

Personally speaking, I would just download the .iso directly rather than
bothering with BitTorrent.  The client setup is usually a little tricky, and
one of the best clients (Azureus) requires that a recent version of Java
Runtime is installed (not as easy on Linux as it is on OS X).  IMO, setting
up a BitTorrent client is something that can wait.

-PRH