Where are the Repositories?

David Lowe doctorjlowe at verizon.net
Tue Jun 26 11:52:52 MDT 2007

On Jun 25, 2007, at 3:07 PM, Derick Centeno wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 12:39:17 -0700
> David Lowe <doctorjlowe at verizon.net> wrote:

<snip stuff about Ubuntu & fink>

>> I decided i would like to put some linux on my old PowerBook,
>> and preferably experiment with rpms to supplement my familiarity with
>> debs.  I finally got around to installing YDL 5.01, got online and
>> immediately upgraded to 5.02.
>
> That's a good move as far as PowerPC systems are concerned, but
> keep in mind
> that current packages for you are best installed and searched
> either using the
> Add/Remove Software utility (also called pirut).  It's recommended
> that you use
> the Add portion, not the Remove portion.  In other words, avoid
> unchecking any
> software.
>
> As far as searching current rpms modify the yum.conf file according
> to the
> instructions here:
>
> http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_5.0/yum.shtml

<snip directions on using yum>

	Okeh, i read the web page you pointed me to, and my /etc/yum.repos.d
looks exactly like they say it should look.  Now this is just sad, as
it means the paltry offerings in Package Manager are all there is.
On the topic of available software, i'm going to focus in on an
emotionally charged area: games.  In Package Manager i can browse the
available choices in "Applications/Games and Entertainment": exactly
four, half of which are utilities.  Nothing against Gnome Games, but
i mostly go for more involving stuff like RPGs.  On the exact same
PowerBook i can boot into OS X and choose between 212 unix based
games that will compile on this PPC [see for yourself: http://
pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/section.php/games ].  So it's clearly not
that the hardware won't support available source code.  On my Ubuntu
system, there are 741 game packages available.  Now i'll admit that
some of those are data files/translations, etc; also that system has
an AMD processor, so probably not all those are available for PPC.
Anyway, if YDL had complete SDL libraries available, they might be
able to offer a little more.  I wish i wasn't so negative right now,
but i can't help but notice that since i sent out that initial email
two days ago, i have yet to receive a single word of advice or help
in getting sdl-image, etc. working.  I guess i'll have to try another
distro, as the supposed hardware support advantages of the Yellow Dog
are not noticeable here: my Bluetooth mouse isn't recognized, the
system won't sleep, etc.

Using a rusty Amiga 4000T, a shiny PowerMac G5, & a homebuilt Ubuntu box

I left my tart in Aunt Fran's Crisco...