Fwd: Uninstall/Remove Yellow Dog Linux 6.0 from PS3

George Warner geowar at apple.com
Sat Mar 22 12:38:07 MDT 2008

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 11:47:31 -0600, Amanda Wolf
<awolf at terrasoftsolutions.com> wrote:
> Begin forwarded message:
>> From: SADIA CHOWDHURY <csadia at btinternet.com>
>> Subject: Uninstall/Remove Yellow Dog Linux 6.0 from PS3
>> My name is Saida. I would like to know how I can remove Yellow Dog
>> Linux from my PS3 permanently. It would be very kind of you to
>> email me back the instructions to remove Yellow Dog Linux 6.0 from
>> my PS3.

The only way to completely remove YDL is to reformat your PS3's hard drive.
Note that this will also wipe all installed games and game saves from the
drive also. If you want to keep these you'll need to copy them to some form
of removable media (smart card, USB memory stick, etc.) before reformatting
and then restore them afterwards.

That said, are you sure that you want to remove YDL? Or do you just want it
to always boot into the game OS instead of YDL?

It's not obvious how to get back into the game OS when booted into YDL but
an easier way is to just shutdown the PS3 (hold your finger on the power
button until it beeps, then remove your finger and then wait for the red
light (might take a few minutes from YDL)) and then reboot keeping your
finger on the power button until it beeps again. This will reset the PS3
settings to factory defaults such that it will again by default boot into
the game OS.

At this point you can ether reformat the hard drive so that the PS3 uses the
entire drive again or change the default OS so the PS3 will boot back into
YDL.

--
Enjoy,
George Warner,