Re: Hello?

Subject: Re: Hello?
From: Charles Stevenson (csteven@newhope.terraplex.com)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 20:45:19 MST

on 1/3/01 7:11 AM, Jason McIntosh at jwm05c@mizzou.edu wrote:

> Is there anyone out there on the list currently? Can anyone update me on
> current plans? Status? Etc.?

Hi, we're all very busy at the moment. We've had rh7 ported over since about
November 2nd and have been polishing the packages for YDL 2.0. We've been
working hard on the new installer and I think it's really going to shine.
There was some delay in getting the base packages finalized because of the
new glibc release but that's all taken care of now.

The installer is ready for a lightweight GUI to take the place of X although
paragui and microwindows are not mature enough for our needs at this time.
This was an unfortunate set back however the modularity of the installer
allows us to use any number of GUIs for the output through a common layer.
So we've slapped a GTK module into the installer and will of course have the
old red hat style newt installer for people with low-memory or those who
prefer the old interface over X like myself. We hope to wrap up the install
dialogs so that they can be translated soon. There have been significant
improvements to yup and that've helped us produce a cohesive set of packages
with near perfect dependancies.

I'd be interested to hear any suggestions from people who have used the Gone
Home Beta that was released on CDR at MacWorld as far as the installer is
concerned.

Also if you have any issues with YDL that you want addressed now is the time
to let us know!

Best Regards,
Charles Stevenson