Re: YDL2

Subject: Re: YDL2
From: Jason McIntosh (jwm05c@mizzou.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 12:10:17 MST

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Hollis R Blanchard wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Kevin B. Hendricks wrote:
> >
> > On Wednesday 03 January 2001 09:11, Jason McIntosh wrote:
> > > Is there anyone out there on the list currently? Can anyone update me on
> > > current plans? Status? Etc.?
> >
> > As for Yellowdog, I sincerely hope they are planning to release a 2.4
> > pre-release kernel,
>
> That can be done, though 2.4 does not seem to be ready for regular use at
> this point. I've run it myself for a while, but it doesn't work 100% for
> all people. At this point 2.2 seems to be the safe choice, though a 2.4
> kernel may be included for the adventurous.

As for 2.4, the only reason I wouldn't mind a 2.4 kernel is some of the
firewire enhancements, and other general hardware support additions (such
as agp and the ATI Rage 128 DRI support). Aside from a few of those, 2.2
would work. Just those additions could be really really handy.

> > completely glibc 2.2 based, XF4.0.2,
>
> XF4 still doesn't work completely on some machines... in particular some
> revs of the Rage chips. But in general I think XF4 in combination with
> the fbdev driver should be ok for most machines.
>
> I believe the current version we have in CVS is 4.0.1 though - is there a
> good reason to bump that higher?

Last I heard, is that 4.0.2 fixed some minor issues with drivers, but I
can't imagine them having all that much of a change. However, XF4 would
be nice because of the dual headed support. I'm trying to get my laptop
to work with that.

> > latest gnome, KDE
> > 2.0.1, latest 2.95.3 gcc, 2.10.1.0.4 binutils, all the rest of the updated
> > RedHat 7.0 rpms (but built with gcc 2.95.3!), latest OpenMotif, latest JDK,
>
> It was my understanding that there are some legal issues regarding the
> distribution of Sun's JDK.

There are some legal issues, but I know a few distributions are getting
away with it, so there has to be SOME way of doing so. I know (although
that's for i386) that IBM's JDK get's out a LOT.

> > latest OpenOffice, ... distribution any minute now!
>
> Keep us posted on OpenOffice... :)
>
> -Hollis

*grin* Looking forward to that one. Need a decent Word Processing system,
and though things like KDE's office apps work, not qutie the same thing
(can't wait to try a version of StarOffice...)
Cheers!
Jason