Re: YDL-2.0 on ibook firwire

Subject: Re: YDL-2.0 on ibook firwire
From: Jason McIntosh (jwm05c@mizzou.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 10:42:59 MDT

Chances are it isn't your hardware, but a software issue with your ISP
or whomever. Ethernet typically uses DHCP connections due to rapid or
common changes in the network environment. Because of this, you get
rotating IP addresses, usually based on your Ethernet Mac address.
Note, that's not Mac in Macintosh, it's Media Access Controllers.
Anyway, what this means is that on a regular interval, you may (if your
computer isn't on to respond to the dhcp server) have your ip address
removed and given to someone else. The result of this is that you need
to request a new IP address. Linux is a system that in theory should
NEVER have to be rebooted, minus an occasional kernel upgrade.
YellowDog, being similar to RedHat uses a series of scripts to automate
use of the ifconfig program. To reenable your ethernet card, do an
"ifdown eth0" and then "ifup eth0" - the first disconnects your card,
the second reenables it with a new ip request.
Cheers!
Jason McIntosh