Re: MOL 0.9.49 freezing at "Debugger Installed"

Subject: Re: MOL 0.9.49 freezing at "Debugger Installed"
From: Bill Hutten (bhutten@cochran.com)
Date: Fri Aug 25 2000 - 06:09:05 MDT

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 16:09:28 -0400 firstdesk@columbus.rr.com said:

>on 8/24/00 10:31 AM, Bill Hutten at bhutten@cochran.com wrote:
>
>> When I try to run MOL, it starts the MacOS fine, the OS9 splash screen
>> appears, I get the "Debugger Installed" message, and then nothing
>> happens. It just sits there.
>
>A similar thing happens to me on my B&W G3. I don't get the installed
>message, my screen goes black and the window tells me I have slow video. The
>only way to get MOL to work is to remove Macsbug from the system folder
>entirely. I wrote about this earlier but nobody could give an explanation,
>and others wrote to say they did not experience the same problem.

Thanks for the feedback. I tried removing Macsbug, and the situation did
change, although perhaps not for the better. I now get a System Error
"file system map inconsistent", instead of a freeze.

I checked out the relevant messages from the MOL list archive, and based
on those messages I tried running DiskFirstAid on my Mac HD. It fixed a
few problems; I ran it again to make sure; it now says "Disk is OK", but
MOL still gives me the "file system map inconsistent" error. hmmm.

I'm also using the "Mac OS ROM" file v 3.0 from the OS9 CD. I downloaded
the EtherNet Update and removed the "Mac OS ROM" file version 3.8 using
TomeViewer. I'm going to try using this newer ROM and see how it works.

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000 11:47:30 +0200 bh40@calva.net said:

>One thing to remember when running MOL in "newworld" mode on an oldworld
>machine: It may be wise to re-install MacOS from MOL (by mounting the
>MacOS CD from it). The reason is that your original MacOS system may lack
>some stuffs specific to the "newworld" environement.

Interesting... I will try this...

BTW: Does anyone know if it's yet possible to mount an HFS+ volume from
Linux? $ mount -thfs only works for HFS, as far as I can tell....

- bill
bhutten@cochran.com db+www
Cochran Interactive